Great… All UK airports are in chaos and a critical security alert has been issued after a plot to blow up planes in mid-flight from the UK to the US was foiled. According to MI5’s website, critical threat level means ‘an attack is expected imminently and indicates an extremely high level of threat to the UK’. 😐 Nice one.
Heathrow Airport has been closed to all incoming flights. But still, at the moment BA is saying I should check in on my flight in the morning as normal… Another thing is do I really want to! 😮 Pfft. I expect some excruciating waiting around at packed airports…
There’s also a nice new hand luggage policy in place:
Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets:
– Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)
– Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards). Handbags are not permitted.
– Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight, except in liquid form unless verified as authentic.
– Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
– Contact lenses, without bottles of solution
– For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.
– Keys (but no electrical key fobs).
Every other item must be carried in customer’s hold luggage.
For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.
Any customers not complying with this Government instruction will not be accepted for travel by British Airways.
We expect severe congestion in and around all UK airports and possible delays to flights.
I can hardly wait! 😐